UK Calculation method for home office use expenses

Reaction score
Hi, I run a translation agency from home, previously with an "office" set up in the corner of my bedroom, now with a dedicated room in my house (I've since moved house for this purpose). I'd like to work out what expenses I can backdate for the previous property and what I can now charge as expenses for the new property but I'm not sure which calculation method to use (that is if I even need to use a specific one).

My total costs (rent, council tax, electric etc) for the previous property were around 650 a month with one room dedicated to office usage between 9 and 6 Mon-Fri. My current costs are in the region of 800 with one room solely dedicated to the business (I don't use this room for anything else, even outside of office hours).

I'm aware this is probably quite a simple topic for this forum, but as I'm new to the whole accounting field I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give me on this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As simple as it might seem, it's not really. Have a look at this link to try and guage your current circumstances against the scenarios:

Specific deductions: use of home: examples

Whether you can claim anything for your previous address, I've no idea, sorry.

Ask a Question