USA Can you do your work at night?


Joined
Jun 22, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Country
United States
I work nights, and a lot of the time at night the nature of my job gives me down time. I would rather be more productive with my time than just zoning on my phone. I am allowed to bring a laptop to work and could do work on it. My down time can change at a moments notice, but typically I work a 12 hour shift and of which 4 hours are uneventful (typically).

So I had a few questions if you can help me out:

1. Can this job be done at night and part time (20 hours or so)?
2. Is there anything about the job I could not put down for a while if my current job demands my attention (getting it all done the same day, just later).
3. I already have a degree, so a lot of the general courses it would take to get this degree I have already taken. I want an associates degree. How many of these classes could I do online, and how many do I need to go to a classroom for?
4. What kind of money could I expect to make starting out?

Thanks!
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Jun 22, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Country
United States
Working a second job during the hours that you are being paid for the first job is a very good way to get fired.
I am doing nothing wrong, and my employer needs me there in case something happens, and is completely aware of what ALL of us are doing or not doing. Others zone on their phones and do other things. When there is downtime I could not do more work even if I wanted to. In fact if I tried to do "More work" it would lower the customer service DRAMATICALLY (I know because I have been told to stop when I have become over zealous). My job is crucial while I am busy working, and if I am not there people could literally die. Neither is my job easy - when it is busy. Most others I work with are content with relaxing and BS'n with one another when there is downtime. I am not, hence I am considering this.

My prof. is not unique. Fireman may seem like a pretty easy job since 95% of the time you really don't do anything. But do you want to be the one running into a building that is on fire the other 5% of the time? Do you want to send them home when there is "No Work"?

Kind of funny when you think about it. For firemen to stay constantly busy they would also have to arsonist lol. That sentiment can be said for my job as well.
 

kirby

VIP Member
Joined
May 12, 2011
Messages
1,950
Reaction score
268
Country
United States
Nationwide unemployment rate of 13.3% and you want to roll the dice on something like this. Well, don't let me stand in your way...

And don't say I didn't warn you.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Jun 22, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Country
United States
This is not "rolling the dice", because it is not gambling. I could (and have in the past) told my employer as a matter of small talk. There is no "getting caught", because they know and don't care.

And me "losing my job" and unemployment being high. Barring criminal negligence, if for whatever reason I lost my job I would have another one with the first resume I sent out. I get job offers now from head hunters that pay more than my current job, and I am not looking for a job. I am in a very high demand lowly staffed field because both the education to become one, and the job itself is difficult. I don't care for downtime, but that is part of the job and instead of playing Candy Crush I would like to do something productive.
 

AGH the CPA

VIP Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2017
Messages
132
Reaction score
19
Country
United States
Not sure about higher level accounting being done at night but you could certainly easily do bookkeeping at night. There are a number of freelance companies if you dont want to open your own business. There's also a reddit dedicated to that:
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Apr 7, 2020
Messages
68
Reaction score
1
Country
India
Yes, but only a couple of freelance/staff level roles like bookkeeping can be done at night. You can take up online courses/professional courses if you want to keep yourself busy though.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top