USA Careers with a felony

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, so I have a fairly unusual background. When I was in my early 20s I caught a pretty serious drug trafficking felony and did serve some prison time. I have always been interested in business and accounting tho and currently am about to get my Associates. I really have not been able to find many answers on this but want to make sure before I really go for bachelors/ CPA if anyone knows how bad my felonies will effect my career path. Any insight would be great. I am actually not interested in doing the big 4 just more along lines of business/ personal accounting ( potentially open my own CPA office in time ). I just want a normal life and I love helping businesses and individuals. I am really good with excel and learning quickbooks pretty fast on top of maintaining a 3.0 (not the best but it’s getting better since I originally had started this before when I was partying) thanks for any input.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
A lot is going to depend on the state you live in. Some states are strict. Some are somewhat more liberal. So contact your state's board of accountancy and ask them what they think.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok thank you so much for that reply. Would it be best to contact them now considering I almost have my Associates?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The sooner the better. If they seem negative initially ask for a personal determination where you can present your case. Such as serving your time and getting an education to become a productive member of society.

Ask a Question