Switching careers to accounting

Reaction score
I am currently a music teacher (middle school band teacher) and am unhappy with my career choice. My undergraduate degree was a Bachelor of Music degree, and besides a core curriculum of general education classes in an Honors program, all my other classes were music or education.

If I decide to pursue a career in accounting after investigating further, what are my educational options? Would I have to start from square one and start a four-year undergraduate degree? Are there any graduate programs available to me that would lead me to a career in accounting in a shorter time? My undergraduate gpa is strong, but I have no specific courses besides the gen ed honors program that display a strong potential for accounting coursework.

Thank you all for any guidance!

Reaction score
Excellent career choice, but there are some hurdles. The requirements would depend on what you want to accomplish. Do you want to be a bookkeeper, an accountant, or a Certified Public Accountant. The rules vary by state, so you should check with your State Board of Accountancy, but to become a CPA, generally, you need at least 30 hours of core accounting classes, as part of a 150-hour degree (masters degree) to sit for the CPA exam. Once you have the required college hours, and have passed all parts of the CPA exam, then you generally need 1,000 - 2,000 hours of work experience under the direction of a CPA.

Again, check with your State Board of Public Accountancy. You can also check the main governing organization for certified public accountants, the American Society of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) at aicpa.org. Good luck!

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance at tuncap.com

Regards,
Russell Tuncap, CMA, CPA

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure if your credits could immediately transfer into an accounting program. I would imagine that some of your credits and overall education world count towards something. Seeing as you usually need an accounting degree to take your CPA (or CA in Canada) exams, I think that your situation would be unique, and you need to talk to someone in the school.

Hope any of this helps, good luck!

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure if your credits could immediately transfer into an accounting program. I would imagine that some of your credits and overall education world count towards something. Seeing as you usually need an accounting degree to take your CPA (or CA in Canada) exams, I think that your situation would be unique, and you need to talk to someone in the school.

Hope any of this helps, good luck!
Hi everybody,

I uploaded one file. But It can not display. I used internet explorer 8.0.

How can I repair? Or some problems happened to IE8?

I think that i will post by link:Apart from that, this link below may be useful: humanresources.hrvinet.com/accounting-interview-questions
Rgs

Last edited:
Reaction score
Once you do obtain your degree and certification, there are several career paths you can take such as working within an existing firm, starting your own practice or even purchasing a practice to get started or complement your existing practice. There are some brokers that sell practices, one that comes to mind is Pinnacle Practice Sales which provided good information about buying a practice. Some others were bizsell, practice something..I would think there might be maybe a couple others.

Last edited:

Ask a Question