USA Classic Car Capital Gains taxation

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello from California,

I bought a 1968 Mustang 3 years ago for personal use (under my name and registered in CA), in the intend of driving it and keeping it for a very long time. Current situation changed and I ended selling the car last year. Now, I did make a profit as the car's value increase (upgraded the vehicle too during ownership). I was able to gather all my receipts and expense during ownership, however my accountant just mentioned that I needed to take 3 years of depreciation in calculating the capital gains. For example: 01/2020 purchase price of $50000, 01/2023 Selling price of $80000. My understanding was that I would be taxes on the following: $50000 + $$ expenses/upgrades - $80000. But according to my accountant it should be the following: $50000 - 3 years of depreciation + $$ expenses/upgrades - $80000 which is quite significant.

I am just looking for a second opinion or someone who has had expericend it before? Thank you in advance.

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your accountant's approach would be correct. You're taxed on the gain you make over the amount you have invested in the car. You invested $50,000 when you bought it, making your initial basis $50,000. You recovered 3 years of depreciation in the time you owned it, and invested the $$expenses/upgrades over that same time. So your adjusted basis in the car would be $50,000 + expenses/upgrades - depreciation taken. You sold it for $80,000, making your gain $80,000 minus your adjusted basis.

Think of depreciation on the car as a recovery of the cost in the car over time against other income, and you'll see how your accountant's approach is correct.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the fast response. I was not expecting the depreciation to be part of the adjusted basis since these cars (60s - 70s classic/collector car era) have just been increasing in value over time. Based on your experience, is there a way around it? Would it make a difference if the car was categorized as "classic" or "collector"? Thank you!

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nope, there's no way around it. Depreciation bites everyone who buys depreciable assets, because it follows the purchase, not the asset. Each new purchaser of a given depreciable asset has their own depreciation schedule that gets charged against their initial basis.

A "classic" or "collector" car might exempt you from certain road taxes in some states--I can't speak to California, but my state charges less road tax for classics/collectors, since they usually have relatively low mileage per year. But under the Tax Cut and Jobs Act, classic cars and collectible cars use the same depreciation schedule as a current year Mazda.

On the other hand, you can offset the capital gains from selling the car with realized capital losses from other investments like stocks that you sold at a loss. That could reduce the total amount of taxable gains you have.

And capital assets meeting the definition of "collectibles" pay a maximum tax rate of 28% on their gains. Talk to your accountant about whether your car meets the criteria to be considered a "collectible" for capital gains tax purposes. It may not be much, but if your marginal tax rate is more than 28%, you'll save something.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the fast response. I was not expecting the depreciation to be part of the adjusted basis since these cars (60s - 70s classic/collector car era) have just been increasing in value over time. Based on your experience, is there a way around it?
If you haven't taken the depreciation as an expense in the last few years, then that is a way out since you never got the benefits of depreciation and therefore didn't reduce your basis. However, you may need to take all 3 years of depreciation at once at the sale depending on the tax rules.

Ask a Question