Disputing Charge

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in a unique position and after years of lurking I have decided I need some experienced opinions.

In late spring of 2018 I realized I could have my 2017 return ammended in my favor. I reached out to a mutual friend and someone I went to high school with to do the job. It went great, I paid for service and we went out own ways. Fast forward to August of 2018 I message the guy over facebook and asked about the law on proceeds from a house after 2 years of ownership, this was a total of 8 messages.

At the end of the year he asked if i needed my taxes done and I decided I didnt need it done by someone else.

I asked a single question regarding if i sold before the 2 year mark, he asked for specific information I didnt have so the conversation ended there.

I received a bill from his firm stating I owe 100 dollars for "Various client communication through email and messages discussing rental properties through the year".

I asked him what this was about and he said any communication to him is chargeable. I called the firm and asked if there was anywhere I confirmed consent to charges beyond my ammended return. The partners told him they stand by him and their policy but when asked for their policy he told me told there is none.

I dont know if there is an hourly rate or a minimum charge, its such an arbitrary number I get he should be paid for his 5 minutes of question answering, but am I wrong to feel this is unfair?

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Unless he verbally told you a charge would be made to answer the question I dont think you owe him a dime. He has a duty to share his pricing either in writing or in words before billing you. Seems like a scam artist and I would dispute this 100% and even take him to court if he plans to put this on your credit report.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is how I feel. He told me "Our policy is to bill for the value in which we provide for our services. Don’t pay the bill if you don’t see any value in the services provided. "

I asked him where the policies are and when I consented to them and he said "They arent anywhere".

Im not sure what steps I should do to help prevent anything happening to me for not paying.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Tell him your policy is to bill accounting firms for time you take trying to figure out their policy when its not stated anywhere - charge is 100 -. I would keep bringing this up the chain of command and let them know how cheated this practice is and their firm if it has a policy should disclose to any client before rendering advice. I believe this is required by attorny's and ethically should be applied to accounting advice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried to talk to a partner but they wouldnt let me. One was suppose to call me but then he messaged me and said I was "fired" as a client.

I will see if I get rebilled and maybe find a free legal consult

Reaction score
Country
United States
This reminds me of the doctor who asks an attorney at a cocktail party if he can legally bill other guests at the party who ask him medical questions. The attorney says.."Of course you can. You have provided professional advice which is a billable commodity."

A few days later, the doctor gets a bill from the attorney for legals fees. ;>)

Ask a Question