USA Employee Mileage Reimbursement

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a part-time employee who works on call for a company who conducts trainings at various schools in Illinois. I'm paid by the hour with no travel reimbursement. Here and there I get called to a location to do a training. Many times, I get called to two or three different locations in the same day, but never go to the office. I get paid hourly from the time I leave my house until I return home but get no mileage reimbursement. Is there any way in 2023 to deduct that mileage on my tax returns. Sometimes I may have to travel and hour to get to the first location. Any thoughts?

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
My thought is, wait till tax year 2026. The deduction for unreimbursed employee expenses was suspended by the Tax Cut and Jobs Act through tax year 2025. Unless the law gets changed between now and then, you won't be able to deduct it off your own taxes. Your employer could deduct it as a business expense if they offered you travel reimbursement. But you can't deduct it yourself.

On the other hand, the next time you're up for a raise, maybe offer to trade some of it for travel reimbursement. Can't hurt to ask.

Ask a Question