USA How do I move over Expenses?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I have multiple companies. One of my companies L has income and expenses that actually belong under company B. Company B made this income, however it was directly deposited into company L. Since the money was in L we just charged L with the expenses that came up. I realize that was not good, but I didn't know at the time. Anyway I need to create financial statements for investors on company B. I was told the best way to move the income was to use Due To/From. Then deposit the amount to income and credit the Due To/From account. But how do I move over the expenses? Should I zero them out on L and just add them to B? Please let me know. Any help would be appreciated.

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, first, we need further and better particulars to give you the right advice.

Are your books on a US GAAP basis? Some firms keep books on a tax basis, especially if they're books for a partnership.

Does Company L own Company B, like as a subsidiary? Are they sister companies both owned by you? I'm trying to figure out why Company L would have booked the payment, revenue and expenses for Company B in the first place, if they're distinct companies.

Are your books on an accrual basis or on a cash basis?

Were the entries you've already made in your current (open) accounting year, or in an earlier (read: already closed to Retained Earnings) year?

Ask a Question