How much do you charge?

Reaction score
I was wondering how much to CPAs charge for accounting, bookkeeping and tax services. I am getting ready to go full-time with my accounting practice (I've been doing it part-time for several years) and up till now I've just charged my clients whatever I thought was reasonable and they could pay, and I haven't had any complaints. But I would like to set up some fee schedule for new clients who would ask what I charge. I work on my own, at home, with no employees (yet). I've been charging $35 - $50 per hour for bookkeeping, $50 - $75 per hour for accounting, and for taxes I charge by the return, no less than $100 for individual returns and no less than $350 for corporate.

Any suggestions? I don't live in a big urban area. Don't have any really affluent clients, although one of them started grossing over $100k per month with his business about three years ago. The work for him is like a part-time job for me.

Thanks in advance!

Robert :D

Reaction score
Generally speaking, the better presented your records are, the lower your fees will be, because accountants charge by the hour.

A simple tax return for a wage and salary earner with few deductions to claim is available on-line from around $50. A sole trader may expect to be charged from $250 for their tax return, while a middle-sized business can be charged up to $3,500 annually for accounting advice, tax return and financial reports.

Typically, you may expect to pay $100+ per hour for an undergraduate accountant, up to $275+ for a senior or principal accountant

Ask a Question