USA How much On The Job training for entry level jobs?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So far, I've only taken Accounting I, but I have been studying over at AccountingCoach and about to get started on my Quickbook cert. I'm looking to get into bookkeeping, Accounts payable or accounts receivable. I'm returning to the workforce after staying home with the kids, so I don't have much experience. I'm curious to know how much on the job training would these positions usually have?

I'm mainly asking because I will not be in school after this term ends in August. I'm going to apply to some internships while I can, but a few mention that i must be an active student. So, I was looking at any other options.

Also, I've seen some accounting workbooks. Would it be beneficial to pick up a few to work through? Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the first step is to think of your path way more in terms of how it will fit in a particular organization or industry. No two businesses are exactly alike, and what will help you more than OTJ is making yourself flexible to the unique environment that exists within an organization. Be more than just a bookkeeper or payables clerk. Be whatever that organization needs at a given moment. Understand the structure of the organization and make yourself noticeable to whomever might need the extra help. You could start out as a bookkeeper and ultimately end up as the business office manager earning a salary comparable to a Controller without even having a college degree. I've seen this happen, and the reason why it happens is because those individuals made themselves indispensable to as many people as they possibly could. They accumulated over the years a knowledge that was specific to that particular industry, and which was adapted to support the myriad of idiosyncrasies of the organizational structure. The CFO, the Controller, the OM, etc., would say things like, "Well, if you need xyz done, then talk to so-and-so." So, while yes I do acknowledge your concerns about having competitive skills, I think job seekers fixate on that at the expense of broader gains to be realized by adapting to organizational behavior. You have internships lined up, and so that's a good start. That would be when you want to slip your card into every pocket that gets within 2 feet of you.

Last edited:

Ask a Question