USA How to learn bookkeeping

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I want to increase my bookkeeping skill. I want to know what should be placed where, petty cash, and payroll best practices. What books can I get and read to help me?

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure youtube will be awash with tutorials on bookkeeping skills, so you could have a look on there.

Reaction score
Country
India
Get your accounting basics and principles right, hop on to an online course if needed, some internship/work experience and you'd be good to go!

Reaction score
Country
India
Bookkeeping is a vast discipline. There are soo many things beyond the lines of debit and credit that you will have to learn. Hence, it is best to start from the basics which is financial and business accounting. In this, you will have to understand transactions and how they work for the business. At Business Guru, we conduct an advanced version of financial and management accounting for businesses. All I can tell you is that you will need coaching and experience to understand bookkeeping.

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
To understand the bookkeeping process - you need to take an elementary course in bookkeeping. That you can obtain online through educational institutions or accounting book publishers. Once you have a good grasp of the bookkeeping process you will have a better understanding of how important the bookkeeping function is to the accounting process of translating raw financial data into meaningful financial statements. In the first course you will learn the relationships of financial data - where "double entry bookkeeping" doesn't mean you keep 2 sets of books - it means a tracking of income by its source, and expenses by their purpose.

Reaction score
Country
India
Try clearing your concept with Journal Entries. If you know Journal Entries for any transactions you can do anything in Accounting and Finance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My best advice is to take the most beginning accounting course (e.g., Accounting 101) at a community college. If that is not practical, buy the book that they are using and go through it on your own. The beauty of accounting is that it builds on the basic principles that you learn in that beginning stage. I'm glad that you have an interest in improving, as it will help you in other ways as well (personal finance, investment analysis, etc.). If you decide you like the field, consider becoming a CPA, which is the top accreditation for the accounting field. I'm studying for it right now with UWorld Roger, and it's going well. I started just like you (not knowing much about the occupation but keenly interested in it), and stuck with it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Learning bookkeeping is relatively easy in my opinion, that is why a lot of people do it. If you want to distinguish yourself from the rest I would suggest taking the extra step and learn more about financial accounting and reporting in general. Financial Accounting and Reporting is a section of the CPA exam (FAR). Someone mentioned Roger in this post, Roger CPA review has a course dedicated to FAR which is really really good and will cover everything you need to understand financial accounting and reporting, this will put you a couple of levels above everyone else in bookkeeping.

Ask a Question