UK Information required from accountant

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry this is my first post and I may sound like I do not know a lot...mainly because I don't!!

I set up my own Limited company in November 2013, and took on an accountant who was referred to me by a friend.

I used this accountant to set up my company with Companies House, however I run my own payroll and use Quickbooks to keep my accounts. I have not yet had to submit a tax return or my first year accounts.

I have had several issues with my accountant, and have reached the decision to terminate my agreement with them - in the short term I would like to handle my own affairs, and once I find a replacement accountant will transfer to them.

My current accountant is being difficult (in my opinion) and despite knowing I do not yet have a replacement accountant lined up, has told me it is their standard practice to receive a "professional clearance letter" before releasing any information the new accountants need.

Unfortunately I can not amend my registered address as I do not have the authorisation code to use Web Filing - how do I ask my current accountant for this, and on the basis that I do not know what other information they hold that I require, I do not know what to ask them for.

Could any one offer any advice on what to ask for and how to proceed.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Last edited:

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The professional clearance letter basically amounts to a reference. So you can sack your current accountant off without having another accountant lined up to send said request. It's a bit like changing your G.P really - you don't need another to take you on before you can de-register with the current one.

As for your registered address with Companies House, that's a matter for Companies House rather than for your accountant. You should be able to change it providing it remains within the same jurisdiction - so if you registered it in England, you can change to somewhere else in England, if you registered it in Scotland, you can change it to somewhere else in Scotland and the same goes for Wales and N.I. What you can't do is register in one jurisdiction then change it to another ie from being registered in Wales to being registered in N.I.

Reaction score
Hi Fidget

Thank you for your response - greatly appreciated.

I will contact my current accountant and hopefully find one I feel is actually going to assist me.

Thanks once again

Ask a Question