India Is it possible to do accounting related job without an MBA ?

Reaction score
Country
India
Does MBA teach you anything extra about accounting ?

Thanks

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you took additional accounting courses during the MBA, then of course. If you did not, then no.

Reaction score
Country
India
kirby , I have a BBA , it has covered many accounting related topics .
I felt like doing MBA in finance soon .

Is that MBA in finance degree really necessary ?

Can i do all the accounting related tasks with the BBA degree alone ?

Reaction score
Country
India
What extra "accounting" related things will i learn if i take mba finance after bba ?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you do all the accounting related tasks with the BBA alone?
Yes, if you went to a decent school and earned good grades.

What extra accounting related things can you learn in MBA course?
For example - more in-depth studies in various aspects of taxation, also data visualization, data analytics. Best if you review the MBA accounting related course offerings at the college you are interested in.

Reaction score
Country
India
Thanks kirby

Many things are clear now

I was thinking about practicing accounting soon instead of going after an MBA finance degree , In that way i can practice accounting without wasting 2 more years on MBA in Finance .

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good idea because the low unemployment rates of 2019 are expected to rise for the next several years. So best to get a job now in a better job market than the market you will face two years from now.

Reaction score
Country
India
Thanks for the reply kirby
Yes , that would be a really good idea

Reaction score
Country
India
It is quite amusing how the entire world of accounts just stands on certain very basic core pillars like the golden rules of accounting and the common accounting principles. You wouldn't need an MBA.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an MBA and I'm currently a CPA candidate. You do not need an MBA to become an accountant, I just went for mine because I wanted to have more diversity in my education and I LOVE business as well as accounting. If you sign up for a good study review course that will help cover everything you need after college. I'm currently using UWorld Roger CPA review and have loved it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think if you're looking to work in the accounting field you should aim towards a CPA rather than an MBA. A CPA is so much more helpful in finding a job in general than an MBA. If you already have a bachelors in accounting try and sit for the CPA exam, get a good review course, study well and that's it.

In terms of a good CPA review course, as someone else mentioned in this post, Roger CPA review is a phenomenal course. Highly recommended!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Post grad and certifications of course don't work against you. But neither will be helpful without being able to network yourself into an interview or in some cases around the interview process entirely. Joining professional groups / associations and building an online presence are indispensable to developing a career path. We get caught up in the idea of leaning on credentials, but they can only get a person so far in the job search.

I see that the OP is in India. So, of course take into account the unique sociopolitical climate that exists there. I have professional colleagues whose background is Indian, and I know they would agree that the old "systems" haven't disappeared. I won't get much further into that since that's a sensitive subject.

In any case you would agree that the adage of "who you know" is true anywhere.

Another factor is that since it sounds like you're looking for your first accounting job, I would make sure it's a job that requires at least an undergraduate degree. Otherwise the experience won't be much in terms of resume building.

Ask a Question