USA Job Change

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning all,

I have come across a dilemma in a job change and I was wondering if anyone has helpful suggestions and advice.

I am fresh out of college since this past May with my Masters in Accounting. During that time, I completed a six month internship in August 2016 as a Staff Accountant. I then accepted a full-time job position as an Accounting Generalist of which I am currently employed.

My dilemma is that a company found my resume on Indeed and after a successful interview, offered me a position as Staff Accountant. This position comes with a small raise, shorter commute, and better advancement opportunities. The employer of this position is looking to groom me to be the controller in 5 years as the current controller will be taking the CFO position and the current CFO will be retiring.

On the one hand, I realize that it is a lot of job hopping in such a short time frame. Yet, this new job will be for the long haul as it has greater advancement opportunities. I just don't want to look back 5 years from now and wonder if I made the right decision. I don't believe I have the same advancement at my current job as the controller here has no plans of leaving and after 5 years, I still may be an Accounting Generalist.

I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to be as detailed as I could
I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seems straight forward choice to me, any job with greater prospects in the medium term is worth moving for. Plus if you didn't want the job in the first place, your curiosity would not have been raised by going for the interview. Make the move and don't regret it.

DTA93433

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
One other consideration which I think is important - but hard to judge in just a few interviews - and that is chemistry. If you think there's is good chemistry between you and your future/potential boss and that you could learn from him/her; I'd be more inclined to take it. However, I too was groomed to be a dept. Controller a few years back (2011) for a large HVAC distributor ($2 billion/annum). In it's 50+ year history it had it's 2nd round of layoffs beginning in 2010 (with the 1st round in 2008). I was the 2nd most recent new employee in a 40+ accounting department and laid-off. Just something to consider. (a bird in one hand.....etc. etc. etc.)

Ask a Question