Legal Fee Invoice

UK Discussion in 'General Accountancy Discussion' started by davidlee, Feb 1, 2019.

1. davidlee

davidlee

Hi,

I have a legal fee invoice, relating to the purchase of a company. The total invoice is £6,000 however we will be paying £2,500 and the ex owner will be paying the rest. How can I record this invoice please? Can I enter the total as only £2,500 with closing payment, or do I have to enter the total invoice amount?

Thanks for your help!

davidlee, Feb 1, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. davidlee

bklynboy VIP Member

Who is being billed on this invoice and is legally responsible to pay? If the firm is required to pay and there is a separate agreement between your firm to get reimbursed by the ex owner record as a full payable by your firm and full expense. Then reduce the expense and set up a receivable from ex owner.

bklynboy, Feb 1, 2019
    davidlee likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. davidlee

davidlee

Thanks, the ex owner has been billed for this invoice, so he will be settling all of it and we have to pay him £2500.

davidlee, Feb 2, 2019
  4. davidlee

Fidget VIP Member

In that case you shouldn't be recording the invoice. The ex-owner should invoice you for £2,500 and you should just accrue for it until they do. Keep a copy of the original invoice to back up where the charge originates.

Fidget, Feb 3, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question