Need Help from Accountants on Books/Publications To Further My Education

Reaction score
I have experience with accounting but not much in the way of education, I do plan to go back to school (don't have an accounting major).

Was hired and will be starting a new job in about two weeks. My future employer is aware of my strengths and weaknesses.

I want to spend some time cramming before I start and need help with accounting for loans (my weak point), specifically in relation to community banks. In other words, how to properly book entries for any kind of loan activity to the general ledger. One example would be origination fees (net of costs), how are these captured on the G/L so that they are in compliance with FASB 91?

I need to get hold of some workbooks asap, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Since it is a bank you can read the FFIEC's Call Report Instructions (for a domestic bank) online as PDF. This document is freaking HUGE but informative and comprehensive. So start with the loan topics. What will really factor in for the FASB 91 is the bank software that the bank uses. The software will be the vehicle to record the fees and expenses. Also , the bank will have its own policy as to what they believe they should record as the FEE and the related COST. So I wouldn't worry about that topic until you get there and can read their policy.

Ask a Question