USA no w-9 and no 1099

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently been contacted by a company I performed contract work for last April 2011, whom is asking for my social security number, but not asking me to fill out any tax forms. I am kind of at a loss as to what the legal thing to do is. I absolutely do not feel comfortable giving out a social security number without proper paperwork.

Background story: Freelanced for 4 days total for a project, invoiced the company and got paid. Made @ $800, claimed it on my 2011 tax return but did not have a 1099 to prove it. Now in late April a year later the company wants my social, after the tax filing deadline with no paper work to fill out.

Lets say they ask me to fill out a w-9 now, will I receive a 1099 for that work this year 2011? And will it effect 2011's 1099 form meaning I would get taxed twice for it?

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you plan on doing any future work for these folks it is best not to mess with them. You can and should) take a form w-9 and fill it out and send it to them (since you are interested in having a form). If - in error - they issue you another 1099 in 2012 then you call them then and ask them to correct their error. OK?

Reaction score
late 1099

Definitely am not planning on doing any more work for this company.

What do I do with a 1099 issued after the tax deadline?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Assume they do make an error and send you a 1099 for 2012 - regardless of before or after you filed your taxes - on YOUR 2012 tax return you will - of course -NOT report that as income (You already reported it in 2011 and you have proof that it belongs to 2011)

So -AGAIN - if they goof up you will 1) ask them to correct their 1099 filing and 2) DO NOT report that incorrect income on your return. Tax law does NOT say to report incorrect income - so you are cool!

Ask a Question