USA Overhead

Reaction score
Country
United States
Simple question, followed by context for clarity ( I hope.)

I’m trying to determine the overhead cost or o/h percentage associated with a particular sale. How can I do this?

Example: My waterproofing company does 3m in volume annually. My booker says I average about 35% in overhead to get the 3m

Okay. A salesman gets my a specific job or sale for, say, $10,000. How in the hell do I determine the o/h associated with that specific sale? It doesn’t seem right to just multiply the 10k by $35%. So how DO I calculate the o/h for that or any specific job/sale?

Thanks.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
To get the exact o/h you would need to record the elements of overhead in detail for a specific job. It's not impossible and actually useful to determine if a particular job is over or under that 35% average. But note that some of that overhead can be specifically identified while some (like allocating depreciation or management salaries) are at best a good guess.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, Kirby.

That’s exactly what I thought, too; I.e.., each individual job has its own o/h identity.

Btw, are you an accountant by trade?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, since I’m being a pain in the rear, would you say that there’s really a formula to actually determine the o/h for a specific, individual sale?

My boss insists he can just multiply the sale ( gross) by the 35% o/h macro number and figure it out on that basis. I told him he was nuts and gave him an illuminating example: if I sold a job for $100,000 then the O/h for that job ( using his nutty formula) would be $35,000?

I don’t think so.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Exactly. Let's say you have two identical jobs lined up. Both will cost the same to create and the usual job price you charge is $100,000. But Customer A calls you and says "I've really got to get this done. I'll pay $300,000 for the job."
So according to how your boss figures things: your boss would say the O/H on the $300,000 job is $105,000 and then the same job for $100,000 he'd say the O/H on that is $35,000. ?!? Crazy time.
If someone thinks it is unrealistic to pay more for a job, look up "Clinton Myers" and how he rebuilt the Santa Monica Freeway after an earthquake 2 and a half months ahead of schedule.

Last edited:

Ask a Question