USA Paying rent, etc. with equity account and cash basis

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm taking over my S corp's bookkeeping from a firm that handled it for me. The corp's reports are on a cash basis (or technically, the firm's year-end reports say "modified cash basis" with some fine print saying that checks are reported when they post to the bank feed). The corp's structure is very simple: single-owner (me), single-employee (me), a couple dozen transactions per month.

I noticed that for a few stray business purchases that I made with my personal credit card, in years past the firm reported these transactions as having paid out of an equity account that they called "Additional Paid-In Capital." This makes sense to me, and the company has never been audited due to this practice.

Can I continue my prior firm's practice and occasionally pay for things using this equity account? There are a few things that I'd like to expense but didn't necessarily pay for using the company's cash:
  • Rent: I set up a home office last year and would like to treat it as a formal rental with a lease, etc. between myself as the lessor and the company as the lessee. No cash was exchanged--could I simply note the payments as credits from my company's equity account? Total amount: less than $5k.
  • S corp owner health insurance premiums: As a 2% shareholder, I qualify for having my individual health insurance premiums reimbursed by the company. I understand that these amounts are W-2 wages--can I note that the wages were paid from equity? Total amount: less than $5k.
Since the company is on a cash basis, I can't just set up a liability account to pay things. The previous bookkeepers were OK with paying out of equity for various items, even expensive stuff like laptops. I don't want to make a habit of it, but these are legit expenses that I effectively paid for on the company's behalf and didn't think to pay myself for. It's tax time and I'd really like to deduct them, if possible.

Thanks!

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Who paid for an item is really just a bookeeping item--what's more important is who's expense was it, really?

Rent being paid to yourself from yourself would be a red flag in my book--I wouldn't do it. Especially if this is all being filed on a schedule C on your personal.

If there is some official documentation stating that the S corp would pay your health insurance as part of your compensation, then the w-2s would needed to be amended and the entries re-done to reflect that.

In general, it's best not to use an equity account to keep moving funds in and out for 'normal' expenses. Make a capital contribution and let the company pay for an item directly using its own funds (that you contributed).

Ask a Question