UK Please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to whom ever is reading this Thanks for taking the time it's abit of a long read but any help would be so appreciated

Recently I have taking over the books of a local business in my town. 'Company A' they have been a victim of some very bad book keeping and accounting. Now they fired their bookkeeper straight away but their old accountant said he was going to take the books away and has 'tidied them up' he had it for over three weeks and From what I can see he has done an okay job in doing that things are in the right place again.

My question is though there is a tax return on there which has only recently been accounted for entry 24 out of 25 and it dates Feb 2009 to Feb 2012 and it states company A is due quite abit of money from hmrc. Now this is where the bookkeeper has been going wrong she was entering invoices under wrong tax codes, putting gross totals where net should be etc real basic things like that I know you can only go back four years to resubmit but is there anyway what do ever to get them this money?

Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like quite a mess. I recommend hiring an accountant (the accountant?) to help you sort it all out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah the problem is their financial situation is very tight I am workin for them for free. Which is why I'm looking for free help at the moment

Also their old accountant is clearly covering his arse because he is in the wrong it looks like they have been paying to much tax for seven years

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
You could try speaking to HMRC about it, but I doubt they would allow you to claim for overpaid tax going back more than 4 years. I guess they could take legal action against the accountant if there has been negligence? Sounds like they were making pretty basic errors.

Ask a Question