USA Should a contract accountant sign off the management representation letter for yearend audit purpose?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,
I resigned and am working for a company as a contract accountant (do get paid too much though). I close and maintain the books, and directly report to and get JE approved by the CEO. Also, I do not involve any internal controls (such as cost allocation, AP and AR). Should I sign the management representation letter for year-end auditing and reviewing? I think I should not, because I have no control over the financial of the company. I only close the books. How should I tell them?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You are not management. Accordingly, you should not be signing the management representation letter. But it’s your choice if you wish to do so.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,
I resigned and am working for a company as a contract accountant (do get paid too much though). I close and maintain the books, and directly report to and get JE approved by the CEO. Also, I do not involve any internal controls (such as cost allocation, AP and AR). Should I sign the management representation letter for year-end auditing and reviewing? I think I should not, because I have no control over the financial of the company. I only close the books. How should I tell them?
Sorry, I meant "do not get paid too much".

Reaction score
Country
United States
Being a contract accountant who has little control over the financial aspect you are entitled to raise worries about signing the management representation form. Inform your supervisors of the scope of work and the potential risk to come up with an acceptable solution with your supervisors.
Thank you so much for the advice. I will do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are not management. Accordingly, you should not be signing the management representation letter. But it’s your choice if you wish to do so.
Thanks Kirby for your advice.

Ask a Question