USA Should I still go for my CPA?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there everyone. Can any of you Los Angeles natives let me know what your CPA life is like? Specifically I'm wondering what your salary is and how many years you've worked? What are your hours like? Is there room for growth, etc.? I got my accounting degree back in 2011 and after a few tries at the CPA just left it alone. Now I work in legal billing and earn $75k a year after 9 years of experience. Its a stable 40 hour a week job with almost no overtime. I like my stable schedule and the pay comfortably covers my rent and life. But I'm wondering if I'm missing out by not going for my CPA still. I'm 35 years old. If I went for a CPA it would basically only be for a bigger salary and the potential open doors. But ideally, I'd like to keep a 40 hour or so a week schedule year round. Do you guys think I should take another shot at the CPA or just let it go at this point?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just having a CPA does not by itself make every employer swoon and immediately offer you a high paying job. They will look at what experience in their industry you bring to the job along with many other factors, such as are you a personality fit?, do you fit in the pay range they want to offer?, if the job involves managing people do you have experience?, and many many more.
So a question to you is: Does the CPA mean anything to a potential employer in your current line of work? If so, why not go for it?
And if you are specifically wondering about being a CPA in a public accounting firm, you can forget about having a stable schedule. They need to go when and where they are needed.

Ask a Question