should i fire our accountant?

Reaction score
our accountant just charged us $700 for something that seemed relatively simple.

we received a letter from the irs recently saying that the $3k my dad paid in 2006 for his taxes would not be credited and that we now owe another $3k. my dad was very sick at that time and he paid his taxes but did not file his return. he died a couple years later. we hired our family friend accountant to help us tie up loose ends. so we finally filed my dad's 2006 taxes in 2011. the letter said that because we filed the taxes more than 3 years after the due date, we would not be entitled to the $3k he already paid. we figured we could appeal but before i did so, i wanted to run it by my accountant. so i sent my accountant the letter and asked what we should do, if anything. a week later, he said appeal because there's an irs publication (556) that says you can appeal if there was illness/death in that 3 year time.

when i received his $700 bill, i called him and said it seemed very high to tell us what he told us. he said that he had to do a lot of research. but even with research, it still seemed high!

i haven't been 100% happy with him and now this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. for someone who charges $175/hr, shouldn't he have already knows that you can appeal the statute of limitations? he said it was news to him.

it's difficult because he did a very good job at handling my dad's complicated tax returns and estate tax. but this charge really bothers me. even if it did take him hours to research, i was surprised he would bill me for the whole time because he's educating himself!
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand your position and agree that $700 for that work is a bunch of bull. The point is that now you are uncomfortable with him. and why pay for that?? `SO - fire that one and get someone else BUT be sure to obtain any files from the old one that belong to you so you can give them to the new one.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Bigger issue - I have never heard of this deal where you "don't get credit for a payment you made" Put the new accountant on that issue - smells fishy to me.

Reaction score
The bottom line is that you're no longer comfortable with someone who is working for you. Time to move on. There are lots of accountants out there.

Reaction score
I'll agree that if you aren't comfortable with your accountant, switching is probably the right thing to do.

I also think the accountant probably should have talked to you before doing 4 hours of research.

But I disagree that if it did take that long to do the research that he shouldn't have billed you because he was educating himself. In this case you had a unique question that he is likely to never come across again. If you want an answer to an issue that most accountants are not going to know off the top of their heads (and shouldn't be expected to know), then you have to expect to pay for the answer. Some accountants might not even think to check that a special exception exists or might not find the answer if they looked. Then you would be out $3,000 instead of $700. Which situation would you rather be in?

Ask a Question