Should I take more statistics classes?

Reaction score
I am an 2nd semester junior accounting major and I took the only stats class that was required. It was called Statistical Methods. Should I take any more stats, calculus, or math related classes to prepare for this career?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't recommend it. If there is a need for a math type your company will hire some big time quant person. So focus on the acctg courses.

The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Reaction score
Concentrate on accounting courses because that expertise is needed. Keep an eye on the free sample CPA exam questions at CPA Exam Review, CPA Exam Courses and CPA Review Books - FFA to see the issues accountants are expected to master.

I agree with kirby. And I should know. I had a career as an analyst and provided all the quantitative stats work needed without help from any accountants. Of course, plenty of stuff came up in meetings where I deferred to the accountants. My curiosity about what they knew that I didn't led me to accounting late in life.

Reaction score
Stats is a very important tool in accounting (audit). A good working knowledge of stats and stat sampling is beneficial - However ... the underlying math used in statistical sampling is handled by computers, and choices in techniques are heavily guided by company policies and procedures (taking the need for stats know-how out of the equation). I guess my short answer is that I don't feel like I needed anything beyond the 2 stats courses that I took.

Ask a Question