UK Too old to start an Accounting career?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I am seeking some advice on becoming an Accountant, bookkeeper and payroll clerk.
After completing my 3 years apprenticeship in IT, at the age of 34, I can't land a job in the UK.

I migrated to Europe at the age of 30 without any proper qualification, however, was given the chance to earn an apprenticeship.

I have noticed that accountants/payroll clerk jobs are always available. Can you please advise me on a career path in this direction? Do you think I might be too old to start accounting and get a job by 40.

I am looking at a worst case scenario and would be so grateful for some good advice, as I am truly terrified of ending up as a cleaner or housekeeper at my age.

Thanks for your time.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you know your stuff in any industry, you will find work that is better than a cleaner or housekeeper. I'm shocked that you can't find any work in the IT field with 3yrs of experience.

If you wish to get into the bookkeeping field, you will need to prove that you can do the job. The best way to do this is either schools or teach yourself and prove your worth to potential employers.

Don't let age hold you back from doing anything. I've known doctors to get bored and become attorneys and there's even an American actor who was a doctor for 8 years before becoming an actor. Use your talent and you will do well. Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Samir. The job market in the UK is very difficult at the moment. I hope it gets better soon.

Ask a Question