USA Trial Balance Variance from closing Fiscal year

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All;
I am the custodian of finances for a small hobby club. I have brought actual accounting to my position (I was brought on to the leadership as treasurer because of my accounting background). In Microsoft Excel, I created all the accounting records via a GL and pivot tables. I have begun to prepare the workbook, but with my trial balance and my checks to make sure debits = credits, I have a variance of +$92.10 meaning debits are high, or credits are too low. But I tied out every account before. If I am correct, the only things that would transfer over from the previous year, would be the assets and the accounts payable balance. We do not have any retained earnings at this time. Assistance would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

List of accounts I work with:
Assets
Cash - Moved Balance to new FY
Tangible Assets - Moved Balance to new FY
Supplies - Moved Balance to new FY
Accounts Receivable - Moved Balance to new FY
Website Hosting - Moved Balance to new FY
Accumulated Depreciation - Moved Balance to new FY
Accumulated Amortization - Moved Balance to new FY

Expenses
Accounts Payable - Moved Balance to new FY
Incorporation Expense
Revenue Expense
Depreciation Expense
Amortization Expense
Repair Expense

Owners Equity
Membership Revenue
Donations

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's hard to say without seeing your trial balance/ledger accounts, but some ideas:

* Check that your column totals are calculating correctly.
* check through your account balances to make sure you haven't missed any out of the trial balance
* check your account balances to make sure the balances your transferring to the trial balance are actually correct
* Divide the variance by 2 - that'll be $46.05 in this case and look for a misposted transaction/balance for that amount to debit instead of credit, or vice versa.

If you still can't find it you might have to just go through all transactions to make sure the amounts are correct and have been posted correctly.

Ask a Question