USA Was accounting the right career?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a late comer to the accounting profession having earned my degree at age 35 via online courses. That, coupled with my original marketing degree from a traditional university ten years previous gave me enough credits to sit for the CPA exam. The problem I am facing is whether or not I can hack it in accounting or if I am just in the wrong company and/or role.

My employer is a mid sized not-for-profit and after two years I have been promoted to supervisor with two direct reports, but I still have a ton of trouble reviewing reconciliations and generally understanding accounting software. My Excel skills are okay, but most of what I learned has been on the job as I never learned pivot tables and v-lookups in school. Now that we’re beginning the yearly budget, I am having a lot of trouble understanding the complexities of that software.

Regarding the exam, I have taken FAR and BEC three times each, failing each time. So as you can imagine, I feel like a lousy accountant and constantly wonder if there’s another career path I should take, but this late in the game it doesn’t sound like a good idea. Perhaps a different role like audit, tax or a different company would be beneficial? Please, let me know your thoughts. Did I make a mistake switching to an accounting career?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My opinion? If you have ANY sort of knack for numbers, and some interest in a career that indirectly and/or directly involves numbers, then an accounting degree was by no means a waste.

You say you're a late comer? Sure doesn't seem it to me at 35. I'm 50 and just now attained my bachelor's in accounting.....I know I will have on-the-job struggles just as you are now. And just like you, I never learned Pivot tables and VLookups in school - too bad schools don't include software training in their curriculum.

These posts are pretty static, hence can't advise you more without knowing you more, so perhaps my guess would be to simply follow your instinct. Alas, you have 2 degrees so that sounds more than enough educational background for most any organization you might want to apply. As for failing the CPA exams, the only thing I can say is I likely won't even try them....which makes you a winner already in my book since at least you tried.

Reaction score
Country
United States
BTW, I just have to clarify....you say 'wonder if there is another career path I should take...but at this late in the game it doesn't sound like a good idea'.

Do you mean going back to school to get yet a 3rd degree ? If so IMO you are correct.

But with 2 separate bachelor's degrees you should have plenty of opportunity, no ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tony,
The thing is I never worked in Marketing even though I have the degree, and when I got the degree I was being taught to hand write addresses on envelopes to make them not look like junk mail. Nowadays everything is digitial, email blasts, apps, etc.

I'm wondering if just a change in the type of accounting I'm doing would be in order or a complete shift.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What type of accounting sector are you in? e.g. Manufacturing, Nonprofit, etc. If you'd like help with Vlookups and Pivot Tables, I'd be willing to write up a simple explanation or redirect you to YouTube or Excel websites.

I self taught myself Excel functions and basic macros/VBA coding via online resources since my college didn't offer the intermediate instruction that I desired.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Loco,

If you have a passion to help people get their books together. Then I say stick to it accounting is very hard. I went back to school in my earlier 40th and got my degree as a Public Accountancy. I took over for four years before deciding to take my CPA exam.

I am studying for my exam right now yes, its hard put never give up. I am working right now in my own accounting, bookkeeping and tax firm. I've come across a lot of people who started off in accounting and change careers. They realize it was not for them. My area of accounting is tax filing, tax planning, and analysis a company financial.

Don't give up keep trying!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Loco,

Even with becoming a CPA, they require yearly training and CEUs. Check out local community colleges for excel traininh. Jump into Youtube, they have tons of tools and resources available. Find ways to have fun. Maybe shift from CPA certification to CMA.

Also know, that a good supervisor is able to direct and communicate well with others. Your company saw something in you that sparks something in others.

Thanks,
ShannonS864

Reaction score
Country
India
Work pressure and your results with the CPA exams are having you think this way. I suggest you give it some time, be it understanding the software or clearing the exams. As long as it interests you, you can win big. Your employer looks to be supportive as well. The case with you learning the software and excel on the job is the case with 95% of them out there! So, keep calm, give it time, and then make a decision.

Ask a Question