USA what's the best way to pursue accounting career with BA in economics

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone
I have been having trouble decide what I should do and need to do to pursue my career in accounting. I graduated with a bachelor of art in economics and business administration from UC Riverside in 2014. Since then I have been having a hard time to find a job that fits my degree. Now I finally decided that I want to pursue accounting, should I get my masters degree in accounting or should I go find a job in entry level accounting and move my way up? My worry of getting my masters in accounting first is what if after I graduate and I try to find a job but company would say I am overqualified? Since I got my BA in economics I don''t know much about accounting at all so I honestly don't know what I should do, can I please get some advice? Thank you

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a BA in Economics and I went in to a corporate tax graduate position in 2006. In my experience they teach you everything you need to know on the job, I was working with people who had degrees in all kinds of unrelated topics (eg biology).

However, I'm in the UK, so hopefully someone with US experience can chime in here.

AGH the CPA

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I got my BA in economics as well with a minor in business. I went right from graduation to working in a fortune 5 company as an accountant. I went back to school to take the random advanced accounting courses I needed to be able to sit for (and pass) the CPA exam. I would recommend getting the work experience if you are able to get a job in the accounting field - you'll need it anyway to get your license.

Ask a Question