Canada Which software?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

I am looking for a software that would fit a mid-sized business. Right now we are using Xero and there are several issues ( Xero creates a duplicate of a client if the credit card is different for payment, multi-currency accounting has to be done manually,cannot categorize expenses, NSF checks are labelled Overpayment) I ask on this forums to get different opinions on where to go for a 60-70 employees company, that operates in CAD, USD and GBP with the need to do all the basic accounting with different currencies and the ability to categorize or tags different expenses.

Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there something wrong with QuickBooks? I think you are going to always run a risk with going outside "the family". I know it's not perfect but what in life is? Just a quick Google of "accounting software" you going to get those two and Wave and ZipBooks. I know very little about either. I know some people have had success with Zoho but not at your level. GNUCash is good is you want something free and are developer-minded with more of an interest in building than actually getting anything done.

Steve-LevelUp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have used Quickbooks enterprise for exactly your purpose. About 500 invoices a month, CAD, USD, GBP, AUD, NZD. We also had multiple reporting entities. Quickbooks enterprise handles multicurrency fairly well in my experience. Overall, I would recommend Quickbooks for all but the most complex businesses.

I have worked with a significant number of accounting systems and I always found that Quickbooks is the most effective for the price. Unless you have very complex accounting requirements (deferred revenue, integrated payment system, etc) then Quickbooks should be sufficient.

If you know that Quickbooks is too small, and you are a steady growing business, then I have used Dynamics Great Plains - a Microsoft product. This is a very robust, but very complex software. It is mid range in cost, but still mid 5 figures for license and installation). It will also probably cost $5-$10k per year in maintenance and consulting.

So, upgrading accounting systems should not be taken lightly as the costs can quickly become substantial. You need to make sure those benefits are worth it.

Regards

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Perhaps look into Spire. It fits the gap between entry level and top tier software.

Ask a Question