1099 Employee that no longer lives in the U.S

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just finished working on w2s for the year and currently working on 1099s.

One of the 1099 contractors do not live here anymore in the states. I know i am supposed to file this to the Social Security Administration, but how do I send it to the contractor?..

Do i still need to file with the SSA? What do I do?

Thanks

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Still file 1099 with the govt and mail his copy to his last known address. If he did not arrange to have his mail forwarded that's his problem

Reaction score
Thanks Kirby.

It gets worse. This was concerning my old HR manager. She is not a citizen so she was not under payroll. She was a 1099 employee.

She left at the beginning of last year and I took over her full responsibilities for payroll while being the accountant doing everything else.

She was HR, so she took care of all employee files. I think she moved out of the country and I dont even have any records of her. Address, social, tax id number, nothing...

Blah...

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I see. So your choice is to either file an incomplete 1099 as you do not have social security number nor address OR to file nothing. Here is where you have to make a business decision.

Penalty for incorrect 1099 (missing address and ssn) is $100 and there is a 100% chance this will be spotted by IRS. Plus you will get a follow up letter that says "give us the correct info" and you still cannot do so.

Penalty for not filing = "intentional disregard" is $250 and there is a very much lower chance for that being spotted (would have to be spotted during an audit.)

Last edited:

Ask a Question