USA Accounting career thoughts

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I am currently more or less unemployed. I am trying to figure out how to get back into the workforce with hopefully a livable wage for my and family's sake. I am good with numbers and possess an MBA. I ran the finances for small company a few years ago and am/was proficient in basic quickbooks. That said I think I have the basic tools to have a good career in Finance or Accounting, but I know I need to brush up on the (accounting) basics and then start taking some advanced classes. I'm basically posting to get some of your thoughts on how I should approach this. Should I just dive into classes online and/or tutorials or get a quick bookkeeping gig while studying or? And what and where (online preferably) should I study to glean the best results? Thanks in advance.

DTA93433

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
1st thing that comes to mind is don't spend $$$ you don't have too. There are TONS of free/solid information out there...especially on Youtube. Also, you can also Google certain subjects and download .pdf textbooks on bookkeeping, accounting. Lastly, start out at a library and check out a basic book on bookkeeping/accounting. It's also important (job-wise) to become (in some way) certified as you go. There are several organizations that offer certification in such things as payroll, bookkeeping, accounting, taxes, etc. etc. I wish you the best of luck with this.

Ask a Question