USA Accounting for software license

Reaction score
Country
United States
My company acquired a software that has a 3 year license and there are 3 payments - one at the beginning of each year. How should I account for that. I am thinking a prepaid expense when each payment is sent at the beginning of the year then each month a software expense and deduction from prepaid? thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMO, I would just software expense it annually and deduct from prepaid.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Do you own the licence or is this just an annual fee? Who are the users of the financial statements? What is the dollar amount.

Assuming the amount in question is not material just expense the software expense as incurred. Keep it simple.

You can set up a long term payable and asset account and amortize the software for material amounts.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My company acquired a software that has a 3 year license and there are 3 payments - one at the beginning of each year. How should I account for that. I am thinking a prepaid expense when each payment is sent at the beginning of the year then each month a software expense and deduction from prepaid? thoughts?
That's how I'd do it. And I'd do it all at the same time - so one journal can do the prepayment for the year and syphon each period over the year back to the P&L, and that's it sorted for the whole year rather than have to do an adjustment as each month comes around.

Ask a Question