USA Advice about college decision

Reaction score
I am currently a senior in high school and need some advice about college. I have pretty good grades, 1370 SAT and a 97 average. I started taking an accounting class this year and enjoy the class a lot. I intend on majoring in accounting but my biggest issue is where to go. While I know about the big name business schools and know that I can get into a good amount of them I am also a competitive golfer. I am not good enough to play at a school like Texas, Indiana, Notre Dame or any of the big business schools. However I have opportunities to play at some smaller schools. While I realize that reputation of a school does have importance, how much does it really matter. If I were to go to a lesser known school and major in accounting and get a masters in accounting, would it be harder for me to get a job at a firm. I plan to sit for the CPA and I think that would have a large influence in a firm hiring a graduate from a lesser known school. Also would it help graduating in the top of your class at the lesser known school versus graduating in the middle of your class at a bigger school. Thank you for any information.

The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can obtain a golf scholarship at a lesser known school, that is an attractive economic advantage. You can always obtain your graduate degree at a prominent university with an undergrad degree from the smaller school that provided a scholarship. The benefit of big name schools is that they have better recruiting on campuses by future employers -- for both internships and permanent jobs. As you progress in your studies, you can view sample CPA exam questions at CPA Exam Review, CPA Exam Courses and CPA Review Books - FFA. That website also has a free online community for students as does the AICPA.

Reaction score
From my experience so far it seems that unless you go to Harvard or Duke, the real world doesn't care how hard of a school you went to. Getting a 4.0 at an easier school is a lot better than going to a harder school and getting a lower GPA. I currently go to a pretty hard school and know people that have failed out at this school and then go elsewhere and get 4.0s. The thing is, the real world doesn't know or care about that a whole lot really. They want someone that can do the job, and they have a lot more trust in someone with a higher GPA at a lesser school than someone with a lesser GPA at a better school. However it does make a difference if the school has a reputation as a good accounting school. I don't go there, but at UND it is very difficult to get an A in accounting and if someone gets an A in accounting there, then employers know the quality of that person's work. Other than that, I would recommend the option that is both financially reasonable and a good enough school where it doesn't make you look like a complacent person, but isn't too hard either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Congratulations myoung. I do think acct2955 makes some really good points, and I would agree with much of what was written. For the record though, Harvard does not currently offer an undergraduate degree in accounting. In fact, I don't think they offer any undergraduate accounting courses (if anyone has information contrary to this please feel free to correct me - I am in no way shape or form an expert on all things Harvard). It's actually pretty interesting to read some of the articles in the Crimson in regards to this IMHO. As for getting your CPA you need not major in accounting as an undergraduate; it would probably be beneficial for you to review the curriculum requirements in the states you would like to be licensed in and plan accordingly.

Ask a Question