College and Accounting Advice

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to ask for your advice. I am a recent college graduate in business economics, with an accounting minor. I have changed career goals and now want to pursue a profession in accounting.

My ultimate goal is to obtain a CPA from Florida. I'm aware of the requirements in my state, like the 150 credits, and minimum accounting credits from an accredited institution. My main issue is my lack of accounting credits to qualify for sitting the exam. I have done research but would like to see what your opinions are on this matter.

1. Would I be wiser to take classes at my previous college (AACSB accredited) to essentially obtain that "major"? Its main drawback is cost; it's very expensive per credit and I have no scholarship to cover the cost.

2. Or should I take online classes that are not AACSB accredited but are still accredited "enough" to qualify for the CPA exam in Florida?

The 2nd point is my main point of interest. Assuming work experience not an issue, and I have taken enough credits to sit, and ultimately pass the exam, the only issue I would really have is the extra 30 something credits. I've read that one doesn't necessarily need the "Masters" and that it really is just convenient because its coursework fits the 30. But I think I can also just take advanced accounting classes or take accounting certificate classes to fulfill that 30 credit requirement. After all, I believe CPA is the only thing that matters, not the Masters, am I correct?

I'm really just asking what your opinions are on what I should do to get to my goal, as cost efficient as possible, considering my circumstances (15 accounting credits obtained, need 24 to qualify to sit, and 36 to obtain CPA)

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

- A

Last edited:

The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Reaction score
You are correct that you don't need a Masters degree for a CPA license, but the 150 hours is normally used by most people for a graduate degree. In your case, just adding the number of hours is sufficent to meet the educational requirements. You can sit for the exam with fewer hours than the number ultimately required for a license. To pass the CPA exam, you'll need a good review course such as this one CPA Exam Review, CPA Exam Courses and CPA Review Books - FFA

Ask a Question