advice needed;immigrant accountant from nigeria;4 yrs experience

Reaction score
Pls i need ur unbiased advice on sometin..i recently got my green card for USA (family based)..and i have till max feb/march next year to re-enter d country or forfeit my green card
I'm deciding wether to relocate or not? ..I've taken a cursory look at job websites and have seen quite a few dat fit my career path.but i need a hands down honest opinion..
First my background..I'm currently 29yrs..I have a 2nd class upper degree in accounting from a top ten school in Nigeria. I also sat and passed the CISA exam in 2008..I worked for Deloitte (a big 4) for 2 years..Then moved to ExxonMobil Nigeria where ive worked till present (another 2yrs) I worked as the Month end close and financial reporting analyst as well as Business analysis and reporting analyst. ive asked for a transfer to an exxon company in USA ..3 reasons were given for the negative answer i got
1. no openings are available for now..iv waited for almost six months and still no good news yet...
2. ive worked for only 2yrs with Exxon..they would seriously push buttons if i had given them 10years or more..
3. Exxon admits only MBA's in the USA..
although i was told to wait a little longer to see if anything positive would turn up..but i cant keep waiting..my deadline for re-entry is barely 3 months away

I understand i need some sort of USA education before USA employers wuld even think of touching me wit a totem pole(considering my african education)
So i was thinking of getting an MBA from an Ivy League school (alongside a CPA while doing the MBA).. Was hoping with an MBA from a top ten Bus school, that getting a good job (at least a 80K - 100k job) wouldn't be a problem..but d deadline for next years admission is too near and i haven't written GMAT,so d scores wouldn't get der b4 d deadline
So i then thot of applying for an Msc in accounting (Uni of Maryland and Uni of Illinois offer programs dat don't require GMAT)..hoping dat with a masters in accounting from any of dese schools and a CPA or CIA gotten d same year i culd easily get a job..pls wat is ur take on dis..i need some sincere advise please???..
Thanks for your responses!!!!

I wrote with shorthand..pls dont mind the many abbreviations

Ask a Question