Bank made a mistake - here's how I handled it

Tom

Reaction score
Bank made a mistake - feedback requested

I am new to double-entry accounting, so I was wondering if I could get some feedback from some pros out there. I ran into this situation when trying to match my bank account transactions with what I had input into Accounting. A customer paid me for an invoice in cash. The ATM failed to recognize one of the bills, and would not let me correct it, so basically I got shorted $5. I called the bank's customer service, and they credited it back to me.

So in Accounting, I had originally recorded that I had deposited the full amount that the customer provided in payment of the invoice...this was all well and good until I downloaded the bank data and tried to match transactions. MS Accounting refused to let me correlate the two bank transactions (original deposit plus credit) to the one customer payment. Finally, I edited the customer payment (which of course MS Accouting lamely forces me to void and re-create ... WTH Microsoft! :eek:), and this time deposited the customer payment into the "Undeposited Funds" account. I then created a journal entry, where in one voucher, the Undeposited Funds account was credited for the amount that actually was recognized by the ATM, and the checking account debited, then a second voucher where Undeposited Funds was credited for the remaining $5, and then debited to the checking account. I shoved an explanation into the memo field to explain it for reference during tax time.

Has anyone else run across this, and what would you have done differently?

Thanks!

Tom

Last edited:

Tom

Reaction score
One additional comment...I notice in the "Reminders" section of MS Accounting, I now have three items under "Money to Deposit":
  • The cash the customer gave me
  • Oddly enough, the two transactions to the checking account (the first deposit, and the later $5 credit from customer service) both show as a negative amount that needs to be deposited
I'm guessing I may have messed something up with my approach. Can anyone advise on the proper way to have handled this scenario?

Many thanks!

Tom

Tom

Reaction score
Still looking for help on this

Hi all,

I'm still trying to find a good solution to making my books balance on this one. Basically, when I open Accounting, it tells me I have money to deposit, no doubt because I didn't handle the situation correctly in the books.

To recap:
  • A customer fully paid for an invoice using $10 in cash
  • I deposited the $10 in an ATM, and only got credited $5
  • I called Custom Service later, and they credited me the other $5

In Accounting:
  • I deposited the customer's $10 into the Undeposited Funds account
  • I created a journal entry
    • in one voucher, the Undeposited Funds account was credited for $5 (the amount that actually was recognized by the ATM), and the bank's checking account debited for $5.
    • In a second voucher the Undeposited Funds was credited for the remaining $5, and then debited to the checking account (this represents Customer service crediting me the $5).
    • I shoved an explanation into the memo field to explain it for reference during tax time.

Does anyone have a recommendation on fixing this, so it all balances out properly in Accounting, and Accounting understands that all money has been deposited in the bank account?

Thanks!

Ask a Question