UK Becoming a self employed accountant or tax advisor - where to start!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone could give me a little advice please on where to start with my potential career change? I've always been interested in numbers, accounting and book keeping and feel I am good in this area, however due to a variety of things I ended up in a different career for the past 10 years in debt advice. I also have a second job where I am self employed. I'm wanting to go back to accounting with the aim of becoming self employed giving tax advice to small and medium businesses and individuals as well as tax debt advice. I've been told that the best route to go down would be to study for ATT or ATT qualification, however I cannot decide which would be better given my goal of becoming self employed. Please help!

Thanks very much

Reaction score
Hi, thank you. Sorry, my original post should read AAT or ATT. Would you recommend ATT with some practical experience in a firm? I think financially I am unable to leave my current job and go to a practice as a junior as the salary drop would be too much, however I may be able to do a few days. Thanks

Ask a Question