USA CPA and Personal Introduction

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

My name is Ryan. I'm receiving my CPA in May (finishing continuing education via my MBA program, but passed the exam). I live in North Carolina, 27yr old, 5yr work experience and currently a Senior Staff Accountant (4yr of this was entry level Staff Accountant). I do not want to change into public accounting unless I am opening my own business.

My dream is to open my own business someday and/or work fully remotely. I come from a family of CPAs, which is helpful for advice/questions, but I want to be self-sufficient and learn on my own. Any tips from other CPAs on how to get started learning to a level where I feel comfortable taking on clients for:
1. Payroll Taxes
2. Compilations
3. Audits
4. Tax Services
5. Other services
  • Recommended Books
  • Personal story about how you began
  • Recommended Discussion Boards
  • Recommended Online Teaching/Practice
  • Any best remote sites to obtain new clients (later once I feel comfortable with my skill)
  • Any other recommendations
As we both know the CPA exam is largely regurgitating information, the real teaching is hands on in the field. Learning and finding time to learn is not difficult for me. I am passionate, driven, and will devote as much personal time as needed.

I have access to Drake tax software and Quickbooks currently. I'm VERY skilled in excel.

Thanks for everything!
-Ryan H.

Reaction score
Country
India
Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is a license issued in 55 states or territories of the United States that authorizes the holder to practice as a CPA in that jurisdiction. To earn the prestige associated with the CPA license, an individual is required to demonstrate knowledge and competence by meeting high educational standards, passing the CPA exam, and completing a specific amount of general accounting experience. The two most important aspects of becoming a CPA are passing the Uniform CPA Exam and meeting licensing requirements in the state where you want to practice.

As for CPA eligibility, you need 120 credits to appear for the CPA exam and 150 credits for the CPA license.

General rule: Every year of university education in India is equivalent to 30-semester credits of US education. Some state boards award credit for international professional qualifications like CA. For international CPA candidates from India, generally 3-year commerce graduates from NAAC A universities who have scored a 1 st division are awarded 120 credits.

Ask a Question