Different Types of Accounting?

Reaction score
I've just started studying accounting and so far it's going really well. I've always had an interest in business - especially the stock market and how to run a business.

It seems like there are a lot of different areas of accounting I could get into. Right now I am taking the plain vanilla accounting courses so I don't really need to concentrate myself anywhere but I know that soon I will need to be looking at getting an internship. I'd like any area of accounting but as I said above I have a certain business interests.

So I'd like to know a couple things:

What different types of accounting might apply to me?
Are there jobs in those areas?
What should my strategy be for getting internships? My grades are pretty good but probably not too much relevant experience in accounting.

------------------------

Ben

Reaction score
You may not be ready to tackle government cost accounting, but that is one type of accounting you may be interested in learning in the future. Companies interested in doing business with the government should have a DCAA compliant accounting system.

The Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) is responsible for performing all contract audits for the Department of Defense, as well as for other agencies upon request. The DCAA also provides accounting and financial advisory services regarding contracts and subcontracts to all DoD agencies. The goal of the DCAA is to ensure taxpayer dollars are spent on fair and reasonable contract prices.

There are jobs in this area, however not many accountants are familiar with DCAA regulations and compliance. I think this field of accounting may be good to learn more about.

Reaction score
A hot area of focus is forensic accounting. With the down economy people are committing more fraud. I have always found this to be an interesting area. It does require a foundation in accounting.

Reaction score
You should go for ACCA after your current course. ACCA makes you an accountant as well as a good business man. Perfect study for students. Thanx

Reaction score
I would recommend completing a professional accountancy qualification and then you will cover most areas of accountancy and get a feel for what you like and don't like.

Ask a Question