USA Different versions of Quickbooks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

So I don't own the software. I can't afford it, but the first bookkeeper I hired had the 2017 Accountant version.

Well now I have to hire another BKer, & they all have different versions. I just learned you can't use the overseas version, but even when they have the global version they say they can't open it.

Is this b/c the file I have is the latest version, so if they have a lower version it won't open, or is there some other reason?

What I'm shocked about is most of these BKers say they are experts in QB, but they don't even know if their version will open mine.

I also know that if they have the lower version, they open it & then save it, that file converts to their QB version. This is why I don't understand why the guy with the global version couldn't open it.

Thanks

Steve-LevelUp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
With these kinds of issues, you might be better off going straight to Intuit with your concerns. Just tell them up front that your ex bookkeeper held it in Quickbooks US 2017 (Accountant version) and you wanted to bring the file over yourself. You may need to pay for some conversion work, but generally versions do not pass over, they only work for upgrades in years or versions (eg, 2012 Pro to 2017 Enterprise), but both need to be in the same country. I am less familiar with Quickbooks Online, but I'm sure that Intuit can help point you in the right direction if they are unable to help directly.

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would be cautious with Intuit. They are product oriented not consumer oriented.

In general though you can only open files in more modern or more expansive programs not the reverse. Also different national versions are not compatible.

Further if you are using a much older version you may have to convert more than once assuming you can get your hands on intermediate versions.

Moving from Desktop to Online may result in loss of some data and will require learning completely new software and platforms.

If you are in Desktop Accountants 2017 version there are only two of three versions that can open that file.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would be cautious with Intuit. They are product oriented not consumer oriented.

In general though you can only open files in more modern or more expansive programs not the reverse. Also different national versions are not compatible.

Further if you are using a much older version you may have to convert more than once assuming you can get your hands on intermediate versions.

Moving from Desktop to Online may result in loss of some data and will require learning completely new software and platforms.

If you are in Desktop Accountants 2017 version there are only two of three versions that can open that file.
Yeh, I'm never thrilled with Intuit.

I don't have the software, but yes, as I said, this is the desktop version.

Do you know which 2-3 they are?

Thanks

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It would have to be 2017 and at least Enterprise or Accountant's version.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It would have to be 2017 and at least Enterprise or Accountant's version.
Ok, so if someone with 2016 opened it & saved it, it would revert to 2016 right?

I'm thinking I should make it a lower version so more people can apply b/c I didn't realize this was such a problem.

What's the most popular version now?

Thanks

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You cannot go backwards. If it is a 2017 file it should not be capable of being opened by 2016.

Popular version depends on need. Many simply use Pro but it has its limitations.

Also if your file is Accountant's or Enterprise, Pro may not work.

Ask a Question