First contract role

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I am Stephany from London.

Starting my first contract job on Monday and seeking advice on the do's and don'ts of contracting.

My first question is - is it ok to ask for the company working hours? I need to know times so I can plan childcare, etc. The agency thinks it's a tricky question to ask as a contractor but hey, I need to know.

Any other advice for this newbie will be appreciated.

Thanks
Stephany

Reaction score
Country
United States
Contract as in an agency sent you out on a contract position as a W2 or contract as in you're working as a 1099 contractor. Not exactly sure what the laws are in the UK but here in the US if you're a 1099 then the company cannot set your hours, we do. I don't do onsite work but I used to and I would let those few clients I went into their office that "Hey I'll be there on Wednesday at 9 am" - they could suggest it was more convenient for me to come in at 10 am but ultimately the choice was mine. If it's a W2 contract position through an agency then those can be set hours and I wouldn't see anything wrong with asking for the reasons you cite. Good luck on the first day!

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Stephany,

Yes, it is ok to ask the company working hours.
Other advice:
Be on time or call immediately if you cannot be there due to an emergency (so get the office phone number of your supervisor)
Take a notepad to EVERY meeting, even a brief one.
Take copious notes when they explain things or train you.
If you don't understand something, ask questions until you do.
Avoid the company gossip. Say nothing bad about anyone.

Reaction score
Country
United States
"Take copious notes when they explain things or train you.
If you don't understand something, ask questions until you do." YES! When I still worked in corporate and had to train people they'd sit and watch me as I did things and I was constantly saying um you better write this down cause I am not going to keep repeating myself. I'd show them once how to do each task involved then the next time it came up I said oh no it's your turn to do it - read your notes and take your time... no notes? Ugh

Ask a Question