USA First day as a Staff Accountant

Reaction score
I start this week as a Staff Accountant. I have never worked as a Staff Accountant, let alone, never worked in the industry, nor the software program they are on. My background consists of heavy A/R, and moderate A/P, Payroll, and Audit.

I am very excited about this position, and want to excel. So, what are good accounting questions to ask on the first day? And how would others take steps to excel in this position? What steps would others take to prepare themselves for this role?

Category

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Better to just listen to your peers/superiors and take notes to understand the systems, processes and culture. You should ask questions as they teach you the ropes to show you are interested in learning and want to really understand the right way to do things. As you approach each job, question why this is being done and whether there is a better/more efficient approach that could be taken. I would also review the financial statements of the company and read all the notes to understand the accounting policies they use.

Reaction score
Better to just listen to your peers/superiors and take notes to understand the systems, processes and culture. You should ask questions as they teach you the ropes to show you are interested in learning and want to really understand the right way to do things. As you approach each job, question why this is being done and whether there is a better/more efficient approach that could be taken. I would also review the financial statements of the company and read all the notes to understand the accounting policies they use.
I agree. Sometimes the best thing to do when you get a new job is to make it a learning experience. Listen to your bosses and take notes on things that are new to you. You can never go wrong with that :)

Reaction score
Make sure you come across keen and enthusiastic and you will go a long way. Don't be afraid to ask questions about anything you don't understand.

Reaction score
Make sure you understand the software their using and then learn it as fast as you can. Make sure you understand every aspect of the job as well, ask detailed questions until you really get it.

Reaction score
Find out what problems are in your organization, especially ones that have been around for awhile, and see if you can find solutions. But don't be showy or public about that until you know the politics of the place. Many problems remain outstanding for political reasons.

Ask a Question