USA Help with Career Choice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, everyone.

I'm here because I wanted to hear your advice and suggestions regarding my career path.

My name's Patrick, I'm 21 years old and currently living in Florida, US. I recently finished my Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems, which is a course that is about technology and business, like a mixture of IT and business with a little accounting. For the past years I have indulged myself in programming, web development, databases and other IT related expertise. As years passed by I have realized that I enjoy business more than computers. I have started to review my accounting classes, learn about basics of accounting in YouTube as well as read books about it.

What I'm worrying about is my degree not entirely about business, finance or accounting and I don't have those fancy certificates and even a license. My goal is to start as a bookkeeper, eventually an accountant or anything related to business and soon be an entrepreneur. Knowing my career choice in college as well as my current situation, do you guys have ideas how I should start this career path?

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Get an accounting degree and then sit for CPA - that's the best path. You are still young so another 2 years of school will make a bigger difference than working as a bookkeeper without a degree. After passing CPA work for an audit firm.

Will be hard to get a meaningful job with an IT degree in accounting of finance for that matter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new in US and getting into a University might be really hard. I guess I have to take my time! Thank you. :)

Reaction score
Country
India
Get an accounting degree and then pursue CPA along with a job. All the best!

Ask a Question