USA How to switch from public accounting to corporate (management) accounting

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello guyz!

I've been working for almost 4 years, at a Chicago based small accounting firm that caters small businesses and individual clients for their tax returns, Illinois sales tax, payroll taxes and preparation and bookkeeping services. I've been working along with my undergraduate in progress. For the first 2 years, all I did was bookkeeping. For the past 1 and a half years, I've been involved in various other tasks, as mentioned above.

Now, I want to switch to the corporate accounting sector, and become a cost and management accountant. So I want some advice regarding which position should I apply for, an entry level position or for the one that requires experience. I am hesitant about applying for the one that requires experience, because mostly I have worked on cash based accounting, while the industry is totally based on the accrual basis of accounting.

I am also planning to do my CMA.

Considering all this, please advise me how best I can make a switch to the managerial accounting.

Thank you all!!!

Ask a Question