USA Career Switch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Happy New Week house,
I am an accounting graduate though I did a career switch to teaching over 10 years ago.
My bachelors is in Accounting and I made very good grades at school.
I want to switch back to my accounting profession and practice.
I have tried a few interviews but it seems they are not encouraged by the long break.
Please, what do I need to do to switch back to my first career.
I really would appreciate a favorable response.

Thank You

Reaction score
Country
United States
A strong interview will prevail over experience if you're looking for an entry level position. If you're applying for a position that requires experience then a strong interview might still help but not as much. I recommend watching vids and relying on whatever other reference materials are out there to help candidates for any type of job. There are also guides online for accounting candidates. Practice in front of a mirror and ask yourself if you owned a business would you hire you.

Consider this: as an interviewer, you would rather hire someone with no experience if that person is comparatively stronger than the experienced candidates at appearing prepared, thoughtful, motivated, and determined. Basic interview skills alone would accomplish that. Also, even if you're not planning the professional licensure route, you might say that you've submitted your application to the Board and are waiting for approval to sit.

Also, be ready to talk about software. Emphasize during the interview that you took a number of software courses and that those lessons are still very clear. There is a bill in congress right now which would classify accounting as a STEM career. It is an inescapable facet of the profession.

Contrary to popular belief, accounting is extremely teamwork focused. This is more obvious in the audit setting when audits are performed by teams working long hours in constant communication to finish the project. But even in a cyclical accounting setting like say in a corporate office the accounting staff must be able to coordinate efforts to meet whatever internal deadlines.

If you've posted your resume online I'm surprised a staffing agency hasn't already gotten to you.

Ask a Question