I keep receiving Tax Returns and Fines. Why?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong here however I have an issue that is really worrying me at the moment.

I am British and I used to live in the UK for 9 years(English Parents) however my family have been in Malta for a very long time. I used to own a business in the UK and always paid my taxes etc and everything was kept up to date. I then moved to Malta 4 years ago and I closed my business down. I had informed HMRC and I have given them my new address etc however I keep receiving tax returns. I fill them in and I send them off however by the time they used to arrive and I used to send them back I kept being issued with late returns.

I have an outstanding balance of about 3750 in late penalties at the moment. I have tried to contact them by phone, I have written letters and sent emails and it has all been in vain as I never received a reply. What on earth can I do to resolve the issue? I have a foreign income however I live abroad anyway. I have no income coming from the UK so as far as I am aware I shouldn't have to fill them out anymore.

Any information would be greatfully appreciated.

Kind Regards to all.

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Malteser!

HMRC don't like to relinquish their grip even when you move abroad do they?! Residence, domicile and the resulting tax position is notoriously difficult. Sounds like you have done the right thing by trying to contact them, which department did you speak to exactly? It might be worth you speaking to the Residency & Domicile helpline if you have not had any luck with self-assessment. It might also be worth checking that they have your correct address on their system, as they will only send letters to that address.

Residency - Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax enquiries for those not resident in the UK

Really push to speak to an experienced person when you do speak to them, it makes a surprising difference.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Becky.

I have been really busy with work this week and I only just noticed the reply however first thing next week I will be on their case again as this is really getting to me know. I honestly can't remember who I spoke to however ironically since I wrote my first message I have received another return to fill in. I have done that one and I will be sending it off tomorrow morning. AARggh.

Thanks a lot once again.

Reaction score
Just noticed that I can actually phone tomorrow. I'm on it. Thanks again.

Reaction score
I have the same problem i call to the IRS already they tell me I have to wait 2 more weeks to get a refund day now I'm starting frustrated.
Accepted 2/6 I start tracking my refund on 2/15 I supposed to get my money before 2/26 turbo tax tracking window .
IRS tracking Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available" !! what all this mean I going to have my refund or I don't going to get nothing.

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Just noticed that I can actually phone tomorrow. I'm on it. Thanks again.
I hope you manage to get it sorted - let us know how you get on!

I have the same problem i call to the IRS already they tell me I have to wait 2 more weeks to get a refund day now I'm starting frustrated.
Accepted 2/6 I start tracking my refund on 2/15 I supposed to get my money before 2/26 turbo tax tracking window .
IRS tracking Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available" !! what all this mean I going to have my refund or I don't going to get nothing.
The original posted is referring to the UK tax system, therefore you may want to start your own thread!

Ask a Question