USA Looking to hire a CPA for consultation

Reaction score
I am looking for a CPA to hire to do my taxes 2018 and going forward and potentially making some revisions to prior years, so these might go hand in hand, but the purpose of this post is to see if I can get a referral of a CPA I can HIRE for a consultation which might include their services and fees as they relate to my business. (maybe you know of a better place I can look than here, but I've had little luck just checking yelp or google and emailing random CPA's)

Specifically, I want a CPA well versed in the new tax law as it relates to Sole Proprietors and pass-through entities, and also Sole Properietors / Pass-Through entities with income sources, residences, offices in various states. I'm not sure if many CPA's just aren't too sure about this or if it a bag of worms they don't want to open but I've just asked a couple for a consult with the potential of doing my taxes going forward and they have not seemed interested. I am willing to pay an appropriate fee just for the consult..

I thought that's how accountants worked, by the hour? I would like someone who knows this stuff really well because one reason I'm looking for a consult is I have heard various things from various CPA's so somebody has to be right and somebody has to be wrong..

So here's the little situation that I don't know how to handle and have heard various things about.

I live in Virginia.
I have a single-member LLC in Virginia. I have always filed as a Schedule C sole proprietor through 2017.
Going forward I plan to elect pass-through entity status and file as S-Corp (unless advised against, my net income should be $150k+ going forward).
I have an office in Virginia.
I derive my income roughly 10% from Virginia, 45% from Washington, DC, and 45% from Maryland.
I am considering moving my residence in 2018 or 2019 most likely to Washington DC, but possibly Maryland.
I now have a 2nd office in Washington, DC and am considering ending my lease at my Virginia office, even before I move from Virginia.

I have no clue how all this stuff plays in to state-level taxes. Whether I need to do 3 state returns (which I have heard from several people) or if I only need to do one in the state I reside (which I have also heard from several people) nor do I know how having an LLC in VA and living / maintaining offices in other states would affect anything.. so before I make any moves I'd like to get a handle on how all this works I don't want to make either my accounting bill or tax bill skyrocket, although I realize DC is a higher personal tax rate I'm willing to pay it to move to the city but would also be open to perfectly legal tax strategies to lower my federal and/or state bill.

Any highly qualified referrals who would be willing to consult me for a fee would be appreciated and of course if you feel like giving any free advice on how this stuff works on here I'll gladly listen.

Last edited:

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Entities cannot cross state lines without being registered in the other states. This also requires them to comply with those state's tax laws.

Moving to DC might be a mistake because of its income tax laws.

Most CPAs are not interested in a one time consultation for a fee. Many provide initial consultations for free.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know few CPAs who live in Virginia. However, I am not sure if they are looking for new clients. If you would like, I could give you few contact numbers ..

AGH the CPA

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in VA but not providing services to the public. Would you like for me to post your request on our VA CPA board?

Ask a Question