USA Mileage to rental properties

Reaction score
Country
United States
I drive 14 miles round trip to my rental property during periods when it isn't rented (about 2 months). Can I write this off and is it worth keeping up with it for tax credit purposes?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Full disclosure: I am a college student majoring in Accounting, and not a "tax expert". However, I will try to help you out with the knowledge I have available to me.

The question I have for you is this: Are you driving from your home to your rental properties? Because if the answer to that question is "yes", then that is not considered business transportation. That is considered commuting. My textbook says this in Chapter 6, page 18, paragraph 4:

Fundamentals of Taxation said:
Taxpayers may take a deduction for business transportation expenses from one place of work to another as long as the expense is not for commuting (from home to workplace).
According to your post, it seems like you are driving from your house to your rental property. In that case, it would be considered commuting and not as business transportation.

Reaction score
Full disclosure: I am a college student majoring in Accounting, and not a "tax expert". However, I will try to help you out with the knowledge I have available to me.

The question I have for you is this: Are you driving from your home to your rental properties? Because if the answer to that question is "yes", then that is not considered business transportation. That is considered commuting. My textbook says this in Chapter 6, page 18, paragraph 4:

According to your post, it seems like you are driving from your house to your rental property. In that case, it would be considered commuting and not as business transportation.
Such a great helpful information .... thanks

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
That is so incorrect. If you incur mileage for rental activities it is deductible. It most certainly is not commuting mileage.

It does not matter that the property is vacant at the time of travel. Much rental related travel occurs when the property is vacant due to repairs, meeting prospective tenants, et cetera.

Whether it is worth it depends on your total tax situation. But over time it will add up.

As for the student giving advice, completely wrong advice, good thing you gave a disclaimer. But it would be best if you simply refrain from commenting.

Ask a Question