USA New Accounting Software

What Accounting Software do you use?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United States
At my last two accounting jobs I have accepted these positions and they required using new accounting software.

Before accepting these two new accounting jobs I only had experience with QuickBooks; practicing with it before college and taking QuickBooks classes.

These two new accounting jobs I accepted through my agency were using new Accounting Software; Syteline and Netsuite.

I found that I could get into the accounting software without too much trouble but A lot of features were different or things were in different places than QuickBooks.

Does anyone else have any experience switching to a new accounting software and having to learn it on the job without taking classes or being trained (learning as you go)?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had to learn Netsuite while implementing it from QuickBooks. I would say that all accounting software has similar features. You can pick up the basics in short order. That said, they are completely different systems. It took me some time to get used to Netsuite. There are many things that just take longer to input into Netsuite.

Its power comes from the fact that you can enrich the transactional data and use that for increased reporting capabilities. Intercompany transactions and consolidated reporting are great in Netsuite, and unless you're using the Enterprise version, non-existent in QuickBooks. Processing payables is much more flexible in QuickBooks than Netsuite. It's just comes down to how the data is organized in each system.

I would recommend taking some time every day to explore the menus of the system and try out different reports. Netsuite has a very nice help area, Suite Answers. It has articles and videos that will help with your questions and ongoing learning of the system. It took me a couple of months to get used to the new system, but I learned to like it.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had to learn Netsuite while implementing it from QuickBooks. I would say that all accounting software has similar features. You can pick up the basics in short order. That said, they are completely different systems. It took me some time to get used to Netsuite. There are many things that just take longer to input into Netsuite.

Its power comes from the fact that you can enrich the transactional data and use that for increased reporting capabilities. Intercompany transactions and consolidated reporting are great in Netsuite, and unless you're using the Enterprise version, non-existent in QuickBooks. Processing payables is much more flexible in QuickBooks than Netsuite. It's just comes down to how the data is organized in each system.

I would recommend taking some time every day to explore the menus of the system and try out different reports. Netsuite has a very nice help area, Suite Answers. It has articles and videos that will help with your questions and ongoing learning of the system. It took me a couple of months to get used to the new system, but I learned to like it.

Good luck!
Oh, so it took you a couple months then to get used to the new system? That is interesting, because I just worked at my last accounting job where my trainer taught me Netsuite in 1 1/2 days and my manager expected me to be doing 50+ invoices before the end of my first week of work. Now I don't feel so bad that I didn't have Netsuite figured out within the first week.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I shifted jobs and with that accounting software. I also shifted industries, which complicated things more. I went from Quickbooks - 20 years of experience, to AJERA - which I'd never heard of and is specialized toward the Engineering/Architecture industries. It took me about 3 months to get going where I felt comfortable navigating and digging for information, but I'm still learning the program 7 months later. It is getting easier everyday and now I actually really like this software.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will go with learning material that is available on the internet. Many famous CPA vloggers share their knowledge of QB software. I like Hector Garcia. Initial switch to a new accounting system will be hard, but practice and continuous learning will make you successful.

Ask a Question