USA Resident MA work in CT - tax questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi tax pros!

I have a question that I would like some clarification on, and dont know if this would be more a internal company questions or not.

Scenario: My permanent residency is in MA (license, credit cards, taxes etc). I then live in CT with my GF for more than 184/year. I will stay some night in MA still. I file a Resident MA tax return and the schedule OJC for other jurisdiction credit and end up paying no taxes for MA but still getting a few hundred back from CT when I file Non-resident CT tax form because CT income tax rate is higher than MA.

Now that I am permanent work from home, my boss sent an email saying that he still sees me as WAH from MA and that if I switch to WAH from CT, I should have less tax deducted.

My questions:
1. If I change to WAH from CT, will I actually have less taxes deducted even though I file a schedule OJC? Is this a internal company question?
2. Will I have to change from filing Non-resident for CT to resident and NR for MA?
3. Will i have to change my IRS 1040 to reflect the CT address?

Thanks everyone

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi tax pros!

I have a question that I would like some clarification on, and dont know if this would be more a internal company questions or not.

Scenario: My permanent residency is in MA (license, credit cards, taxes etc). I then live in CT with my GF for more than 184/year. I will stay some night in MA still. I file a Resident MA tax return and the schedule OJC for other jurisdiction credit and end up paying no taxes for MA but still getting a few hundred back from CT when I file Non-resident CT tax form because CT income tax rate is higher than MA.

Now that I am permanent work from home, my boss sent an email saying that he still sees me as WAH from MA and that if I switch to WAH from CT, I should have less tax deducted.

My questions:
1. If I change to WAH from CT, will I actually have less taxes deducted even though I file a schedule OJC? Is this a internal company question?
2. Will I have to change from filing Non-resident for CT to resident and NR for MA?
3. Will i have to change my IRS 1040 to reflect the CT address?

Thanks everyone
Please refer to this:

Do you sleep more than 183 days in MA? Which state is your driver license? Which state do you vote? If yes the decision is already made. MA will treat you as a resident of MA for tax purpose and you must file Form 1

Ask a Question